Clogged drains are more than an inconvenience. When a toilet backs up into a bathtub or when a sink overflows it can be harmful to your health and cause property damage.
The best way to prevent a clogged drain is to catch it early on. If you clear a slow drain before it becomes a major back-up, then you can save yourself from a lot of aggravation and expense.
The best way to prevent a clogged drain is to be mindful of what you put in it. Here are some big Blue Technician tips to help prevent clogged drains.
8 Tips for Healthy Drains
- Don’t pour cooking grease or coffee grounds down the drain. Dispose of cooking grease in a can or cardboard container then throw it in the trash. Put coffee grounds in the compost.
- Use a strainer to prevent rice and pasta from entering the drain. Both rice and pasta swell, even after they’ve been through the garbage disposal.
- Run hot water down your kitchen drain for 20 minutes once a week to clear grease.
- Never flush wipes or hygiene products down the toilet, even if they claim to be flush-able.
- Schedule annual preventative drain cleaning maintenance for old sewer lines.
- Put a strainer on shower and tub drains to prevent hair from entering the pipes.
- Avoid drain cleaning chemicals, they cause more problems than they cure, not to mention they’re horrible for the environment and poisonous to children and pets.
- Stop brushing your teeth. Toothpaste build-ups are the biggest issues for bathroom sink drains. Just kidding, please brush your teeth!
Do you have a slow drain? Then give us a call and get it cleared before it becomes a major issue.
All Big Blue Plumbing Technicians undertake extensive training in drain cleaning, fiber optic camera inspections, and drain maintenance. Plus, we use an EPA-approved micro-bacterial solution that is non-toxic and pet-safe.
Schedule a Big Blue service appointment today and save with this month’s drain cleaning service specials — all drain cleaning services include a 90-day Clean and Clear Guarantee!